I wasted a decade of my life working on my weaknesses.
From 2010 to 2020 I hopped on any trend that could help me advance my career, make me money, or both.
- Coding and startups
- Data science and machine learning
- Senior operations roles in my corporate career
None of this came naturally to me, but I thought these skills were valued in the world.
So I embraced hustle culture and decided to lean into my weaknesses with 100% commitment.
Deep down, however, I always knew I was trying to be somebody I’m not.
When I lost my last corporate job at the start of the pandemic, I learned a painful lesson.
If you try to be good at everything, you’ll never be great at anything
If you waste your valuable time and energy working on your weaknesses, guess what you’re not doing? You’re not using your strengths to their full potential.
Nobody cares if you go from a 4/10 to a 6/10 in any given skill.
If you’re a 9/10 or 10/10, however, things get interesting.
- You stand out in a corporate environment.
- People want to learn from you online.
- You’re able to charge a premium for your services.
Over the last couple of years, I’ve been able to identify my strengths, use them to get an incredible job, and launch a successful side hustle as a creator. Here’s how you can do the same.
#1. Take a self-assessment.
The first step is obvious: You need to know what your strengths & weaknesses actually are.
Here are three self-assessment tests I’d recommend:
#2. Delegate and Elevate in your corporate job.
To elevate your performance in your corporate job, you need to delegate your weaknesses. Bonus: this will leave you with more energy to create outside of your 9–5.
Here’s what I recommend:
- Read ‘WHO, not HOW’ by Dan Sullivan
- Use this delegate and elevate tool from EOS
- Find ways to apply this in your personal life
#3. Scale your strengths online.
With the internet, you can scale the impact of your strengths.
Your best chance to do this is by creating content that:
- Is in a format that’s easy for you to follow consistently
- Reflects your strengths and unique abilities
- Allows those 2 years behind you to learn from you
Decide today that you won’t work on your weaknesses until you’re a 10/10 on your strengths. Watch your life change.
This post was created with Typeshare